Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Quilting: Hardware Edition


I may have gotten a very good deal through an estate sale auction, and for me this might advance my hardware from the mid 90s and a tractor ball to 2005. What I really wanted is a needle down feature like the Juki...that has the unfortunate "feature" of cutting the thread with the foot pedal...the same motion that lowers the needle on my Bernina. In any case...the first step was to get the machine to fit in my sewing table. Here I have laid out tracing paper so I get pattern for the insert.


 Using the tracing, I cut out an insert from a Dry-Erase foam-core board. Next step is to figure out how to use it...

Meanwhile, I would like to clarify some confusion about the lack of images of dragons and cats together because dragons eat cats. First, with the Chinese New Year approaching you may realize that this is the year of the Dragon. And in the Chinese zodiac, there is no cat. Some stories say it was the Rat who tricked/killed the cat so there is the Year of the Rat and no Year of the Cat in the Chinese zodiac. We, of course, know that the dragon ate the cat.

Meanwhile, in the Vietnamese zodiac, there is both a Year of the Cat and a Year of the Dragon. Moreover, the year of the Dragon follows the year of the Cat. Another way to say it is that the Dragon comes after the Cat...and, of course, the dragon eats the cat.

3 comments:

Julierose said...

Hahaha-- love your Dragon Eats Cat stories;))) I hope this Year of the Dragon brings us good fortune here in the USA--need I say more?
Hope you enjoy your new hardware purchase...hugs, Julierose

Charlotte M. said...

I have that same model. There is a white button above the speed control. If you push it so the down position shows on the screen and hold it until you here the beep, it will show the needle in the down position. It will say like that until you change it or turn the machine off. I love this feature.

MissPat said...

And yet, you have two cats and no dragons. And yes, I know Molly would say she has a dog and a staff. Good luck figuring out the new hardware.
Pat