Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Quilt Guild Meeting Recovery

Last night was our quilt guild meeting, and once again I came home with a nice bundle of fabric. And because I had gone through and sorted my fabric bins, I took a much bigger load of fabric to the meeting than I went home with...my one modest goal.

And here are the mini spools (unfinished two inches square) that I made from the smaller patches from the "free table." These spools require a one by six inch strip of fabric for the spool and two 1 by 2 inch strips of the background fabric...so it's good to make the smaller scraps into spools before they disappear into the general fray of the sewing room.

Sue Spargo is coming to speak to our guild and give a workshop in February, and last night we received our beautiful kits so we can get a head start. Unfortunately, I did not get a "before" picture of the kit, so this is what it looks like after Molly performed her highly scientific authenticity analyses (HSAA). To the untrained eye the HSAA looks a lot like attacking and biting and kicking. In any case, the kit passed and is authentic wool. 

For those in the area, I should mention that the Sue Spargo workshop is now open to those not in the guild, so if you are interested, you can find information about it here.

I should also mention that Northwest Quilters are having their quilt show on March 22-23, 2019 at the Expo Center here in Portland. You can enter a quilt in the show even if you are not a member. However, the quilts must be delivered to a drop-off depots before the show and picked up afterward. You can find more information about entering the show here. The entry deadline is February 11, 2019 although the quilt doesn't have to be finished until it is dropped off.

I'm also putting together all of the extra string pieced diamonds. It turns out I have enough to make another quilt, so this one is going to feature blue and beige.

Here is Buddy attempting a rainy day cat pose. I'll wait until you stop laughing. And while I mentioned that I spent the weekend crushed by a boulder, Molly reports that Buddy's blog described a weekend of meditation while perched on a log decaying in a field of fabric.

7 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

You seem to do pretty darn well with your freebie fabrics from the scrap table - are you the first quilter there??

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Good idea to make those little pieces while the fabric is out. The stars are so pretty too. You made out really well with the fabric swap at your guild.

gayle said...

Love those stars and those drool-worthy spools! (Drooly spoolies?)
Clearly, Buddy has been practicing his 'pensive' look, but he still hasn't nailed it. Molly could give him some pointers - maybe when she's not so busy with her wool-inspection duties.

Julia G said...

Well now, if she were the first one there, whose fabric would she pick up? Maybe she employs the techniques Molly has taught her - observe from a discreet distance, and then when the victim, er, I mean fabric, is sighted, to swoop in! Much better than a Buddy technique of sit on whatever fabric comes in.

Julia G said...

What a laugh! I so enjoy your blog - great way to start my mornings.

jean f. said...

Right, I enjoy an insightful blog with laughs and cats, and beautiful quilt blocks! I've been in love with string stars for some time, but have yet to make any. You inspire me to GET AT IT!

Cathy said...

Another string Stars quilt! Are those diamonds pieced as diamonds or as two triangles sewn cheek to cheek? And speaking of checks, Darla says Buddy sweetcheeks looks particularly handsome in his pose.