Friday, December 21, 2018

Small Steps

I've made some progress on the second string star quilt...I still have two blue stars and three beige stars to assemble. Before today, I had lots of pieces but no good sense of how far I had to go.

And this is the inspiration for the string star quilts I have been making. This quilt is part of the Pat Nickols collection at the Mingei International Museum. You can follow this link to the Mingei museum website to find out more about this quilt and see other quilts in that collection.

If you want to make your own diamond strings and stars, Bonnie Hunter has a free pattern on  her website...not for this particular quilt but for string star quilts. I drafted my own pattern to try and replicate the quilt shown above and my dimensions were way off.

Layering the Bounding Bunny quilt took up most of my time over the past couple of days. Molly is inspecting my incredibly shoddy work.

Molly thought you might like to have an unobstructed view.

Oh, excuse me. Molly thought you might like an unobstructed view of her, not the quilt. My mistake.


6 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love these string stars. I've been looking around for a string piece project. Thks might just be the perfect level of tedium for me!
Miss you in Virginia. We had a spectacular snow last week!

gayle said...

I love those string stars - especially against that blue background. It's going to be gorgeous!
Not as gorgeous as Molly, of course, but pretty gorgeous anyway.

PaulaB quilts said...

The stars are coming along very nicely. It looks like Molly might be claiming the bunnies for herself. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Julia G said...

You crack me up. Your blog always brings a smile to my day. Thank you!

QuiltGranma said...

I sure appreciate your sense of humor. Where is the bounding Pony? I Love those string stars!

Cathy said...

Molly is so darn photogenic. I know I say that about every other week, but it just melts me every time I see a closeup. And between you and Cathy and your “bad influence”, I’m going to have a go at string stars starting in January.