Monday, December 17, 2018

Bonnie Hunter Good Fortune Mystery Part Four

Here are some of my "string" blocks for Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune quilt mystery.  We were given many options, and I chose the strip set approach because I chose not to have a wide value range for the color choice of red-orange. I did mix the strips up as I went along to mix up the fabrics.

And last week I was so certain that I knew the final pattern design that I was going to go ahead and sew blocks. Luckily, I didn't because we can now all see that Bonnie is going with a row by row layout. Given her love of intricate geometric designs, this admittedly seems an odd choice. However,
its such an odd choice, its obvious. So I'm off to sew the rows...

Here is my rough plan for sewing chicken wire over the speedy chickens. This is a bit bigger than I will make the wire openings, but you get the idea. Essentially I want the angles to reflect the angles in the chickens and have a size that makes sense within the pattern. I'm experimenting by laying a piece of acrylic over the quilt top and drawing on the plastic with a dry erase pen.

I borrowed the acrylic from my cat Molly who was using it to train her brother Buddy. She had it leaning up against the door.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Bwahahahaha! But Molly, he’s a pony, not The Roadrunner!

Vireya said...

You r colour scheme looks so good together. You should totally sew them together as a row by row!

The chicken wire quilting is ideal. I'd definitely consider making the holes in the wire smaller though, because it looks like your chickens could escape through that wire.

Julia G said...

Molly has a wicked sense of humor...

Cathy said...

I love the chicken wire quilting idea!