Thursday, December 6, 2018

Return of the Demented Garden Mosaic

Here's the Demented Garden Mosaic (a pattern from Free Spirit) after its been through the first step of machine quilting. Because of its size and the amount of seams, I layered and quilted it to the batting only.

I simply ran down the white squares using white thread. I'm trying not to interfere with the psychotic, I mean, psychedelic pattern.

Next, I will layer on the back and sew through the dark squares with a dark variegated thread. I am going with a garden print from Dear Stella for the back...it's a different garden mosaic. (And I guess growing fish in the garden makes it demented too.)

9 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Have never heard of quilting top and batting only. Then adding backing and quilting. What are the benefits? I have problems with puckering and wonder if this method would help.

gayle said...

Woohoo! The more Demented the better!

Amy said...

I've never heard of this quilting game plan either. Makes sense for a big quilt, especially since my basting spot is a small table top. And maybe the fish are fertilizing the garden? Your top is mesmerizing! (Send me cat toys, send me cat treats, send me scraps, no, no, don't do that!) Looking forward to your finish!

Julierose said...

Whoa Nellie!!;0000
This is a really intense quilt--how long have you been working (uh, tearing your hair out? lol) on this? It just moves before your eyes...amazing work hugs, Julierose

Susan said...

WOW, just WOW!

Cathy said...

So glad you’re nearing the end of your dementia! Congrats! It’s a complex and mind-boggling piece of work, which is why I can only shake my (nearly empty) head...

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Ahh this quilt is still tempting me! You are hypnotizing me into wanting to make this. Look away!

Cathy said...

Hmmmm....interesting way of quilting. I know you've explained this to me before but pictures are worth a thousand words. If I quilted this way I would have to get down on the floor and crawl around twice - once to pin baste batting and top and then a second time to pin baste to the backing. Then I would have to wrestle through the dinky harp of the DSM twice. And that's why I usually end up big stitching those biggies instead.

Mystic Quilter said...

You have my undying admiration for completing this quilt!!! I certainly couldn't take this one on.