Friday, March 8, 2019

Chicken Fencing

Whoa. Some one should have warned me about volunteering to help with our local quilt guild show. It's a lot of work right at the time I should be machine quilting my quilts for the show...given I have procrastinated for years. So it's weird. There are nights I forget to make a blog post and only remember in the morning.

I am enclosing the chickens in chicken wire...its the cheapest thing I could find. I don't like to mark my quilt with anything other than white chalk. This means I'm using a template made from interfacing.

I chose a hexagon size that would fit neatly down the columns of chickens, one line going down the sashing and one going down the chicken. Then it repeats going down the sashing etc.

And then to quilt, I just sew along the interfacing. After each column, I do have to take the quilt back to the sewing pin and move the template. The upside of that is that from there it is easy to make a package of the quilt. This quilt is quite big, and this keeps it from sprawling too much.

Molly and I had a bit of a disagreement last night. I wanted to sleep, and she didn't want me to. As you can, she wants to come over and scold me, but her bed is just too comfy and warm. She's a little heat drunk. One might be tempted to give her a poke or two or three, but I'm better than that.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Tough love, I say. Turn off the bed heater for Molly during the day and then turn it on at night.
That is an ingenious way to mark an unusual quilting pattern! I can’t wait to see the chicken quilt quilted!

Barbara said...

I see now what you mean about unhappy kitties. We are so bored here that we’ve taken to attacking our own tails...those of us who have tails, I should say.

Katie said...

Perhaps I need to employ a heated cat bed here in my house...one that is also on only at night as my Emma (who could probably teach Molly a thing or two about how to be naughty, as shes 14) has decided whapping on doors in the middle of the night when she doesn't want to eat her "poverty crunchies" and thinks we should get up and give her another can of food...perhaps a toasty non-human-powered warm spot would help? And the chicken quilting template idea is one I am going to file away into things I hope I remember when I need them! Good luck with the show! I did a lot for my guild show for about four years, but have decided this year it can be someone else's turn, so I understand!

gayle said...

I'm admiring that interfacing template idea! (and madly scribbling notes to self!)
Every time you show Molly in her heated bed, I'm tempted to get one for our boy Lynx. I'd promise him not to sit in it myself. At least, not ALL the time.

Linda in Calif. said...

Wonderful idea to make a template. (Seems a bit of a genius idea to me.) And Molly, what a crack up. Just like a cat to keep you up at night - but then you can't help but love them.