Friday, August 2, 2019

Chameleon connections

Here are six new chameleons. Can you spot the mutation...yes, its a chameleon with a dark body and light legs. He's also inside out. You may have seen the batiks with metal spotted dots painted on the surface...something I would typically avoid. However, the "wrong" side was quite nice and chameleon worthy.

I have also started working on the layout for the chameleons. Each block has a connecting twist in the branches in the center. And yes, this means the chameleons will be sewn together with partial seams...one of my favorites. But I've also decided to continue the branches out into the sashing which requires a reverse connecting knot to make the branches match up.

Since I'm working on a half inch grid, the sashing is 2.5 inches. This adds to the size of the quilt...so to keep the quilt within bounds, I'm going to only have eight chameleons across the top...reducing the total down from 50 chameleons to 40.

And now please indulge me while I complain about the unrelenting oppressive summer here in Portland, OR. I am under a suffocating heat dome with humidity so thick it feels like I'm covered in a layer of spit. Oh wait...Buddy...get off of me and stop licking me! I am not your support animal.

Also, Buddy has decided to be a cat. He has taken to laying down in the middle of doorways and then stomping off with indignation if I try to step around him.

3 comments:

Julia G said...

I really like the connecting stems - I wondered how you were going to do that! And I think 40 chameleons will be just fine. Can't wait to see some of them sewn all together! I still remember seeing your pigs at the Mancuso show in Hampton and was blown away. This one will be so fun!

Cathy said...

Chameleon-worthy fabrics, I love it. You’ve got the best stash of greens EVER. And what is it with cats? I swear that Alfie and Darla double-team me (and Bruce), demanding chin scratches or a reclining lounge whenever we sit down. Maybe they’ve rigged a hidden detector in our chairs? They are obviously on a campaign to change the dog days of summer into the cat days...

QuiltGranma said...

Hmmm, cat days of summer, I like that!