Sunday, February 9, 2020

Lovely Parrot


Here is a felted love bird. And I should give some credit to Miwa Utsunomiya and her book Cute Birds to Make with Needle Felting. She lives with parrots so she has live models handy. You can see the book and some examples from the book here. (No affiliate, just a handy way for you to see the book).

I don't really know any proper felting techniques and I wasn't following the instructions closely so that is why mine looks like a molten lump of love bird instead of something light, delightful and impossibly cute. Also, since my bird has a high probability of being a cat toy, I use felt for the eyes, and used brown felt to fashion a bird stand that might be mistaken as feet given the right angle.

And I realize that not everyone lives with cats, so one might be unaware that the cat, not staff, determines what is a cat toy.  You can present an item that says CAT TOY! LOADS OF FUN FOR YOUR FELINE FRIEND! on the package only to get a complete look of distain. Or you can have a cat that grabs bags of roving and runs away with them. You could give a stern lecture on abdominal blockage or say "NOT A TOY" but I always end up in a game of barter where I pay the kidnapper's ransom.


And now that we have shifted our focus to lovebirds, here is a reminder of a fused picture I made back in 2011 or so.


And this is the pieced version.

3 comments:

Pam said...

That felted bird is the cutest thing.

QuiltGranma said...

I remember way back in college decades ago... was that before or after Noah's Flood? … that I used a similar posing of love birds for art class, color the picture with crayons, then ink over it so you can't see anything... and then scratch it off. This was a class we were taught for elementary education.

Lisa S. said...

I love your lovebirds applique! Your background is one of the fabrics I have been searching for for a long time. Any chance you have more of it? I'd be happy to buy or trade for it.