Saturday, February 8, 2020

Pipey Parrot


This is a parrot that I embroidered on the back of a work shirt back in the 70s. The head part is all french knots. Maybe mildly unhinged. In any case, this does not count as a daily challenge parrot because I made it long ago. It is merely serving as a buffer before I present Pipey Parrot, a disappointing mess that shows that working with pipe cleaners is not as simple as I thought it would be.


Maybe it would be impressive if I had been blindfolded at the time.


And here is Buddy's parrot. He explained that I need to provide more abstraction to make up for my poor hand/eye coordination. My version of the parrot amplifies that I was unable to get sufficient detail and must therefore be a bad artist. His version of the parrot amplifies the brilliance of the cat and the limitations of the viewer who has to be told that the fur balls depict a parrot.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Smitty and Sadie suggest serving the parrot piping hot for an excellent breakfast food.

gayle said...

I do admit to being limited, as I did not pick up on the brilliance of the cat or the depiction of a parrot. Consider me chastened...
(And you could have told us that you'd made the pipe cleaner parrot blindfolded - I certainly would have believed you and been impressed)

Cathy said...

Forget the artistic explanation. Regardless of intention, Pipey Parrot is hilarious!

Julia G said...

The embroidered parrot is really gorgeous! The pipe cleaner parrot is avant garde - the viewer is supposed to fill in the rest. It reminds me of Matisse.

Anonymous said...

I must say, Buddy’s parrot succinctly captures all birds from a cat’s eye view - disassembled! :j

QuiltGranma said...

I must say that I am surprised that the embroidered parrot survived this long! The other two are definitely artsy!