Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Miniature Sidetrack


Maybe it's a compulsion, maybe I'm making another spool quilt. As you might notice, I usually work with bright, wacky fabric, so when I encounter reproduction fabric/small prints my mind thinks mini spools (1.5 in finish). 


Inside the plastic bin of fabric I showed in the last post was a small baggy with these scraps. These are now spools, postage stamps and bits for the bit bin.


In the context of seeing the photos from the estate sale, the bin was a tiny bite of the apple.


And this photo shows her fabulous book collection (completely staked out by a book reseller), more fabric and yes, a bin of "scraps" under the table. There were at least four of these bins.


In looking through the fabric chunks and scraps in the bin, I recognized a lot of fabrics from the early eighties, back when the selection of cotton fabrics was quite limited (relatively). So there was a lot of "historical or reproduction fabrics" but there were also a lot of fabrics with a history of their own.


4 comments:

gayle said...

Holy warp and weft, that's a lotta fabric!

Shirley said...

That estate sale is just beyond my comprehension!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Unreal. . .that stash must have lived in the whole house. .. no way could it have been house in one area. I chuckled seeing more spools though. . . .!!!!

Susan said...

This is a hoard of fabric. Seems more like a store going out of business. I don't know how you sew such tiny spools, but more power to you. I like seeing the variety you come up with. Wish I could come across anything like this.