Monday, January 28, 2019

Finally Demented

Okay, this Garden Mosaic quilt from Formerly Free Spirit finally earned its Demented Title. The machine quilting was easier than I thought it would be. I essentially went along all the diagonals...first through the white squares and the dark squares then along the split diagonals. (I may still have more to do, but nothing that extends past the binding.) So it wasn't the quilting that sent me over the edge.

The binding took a rather long time since this quilt is roughly 96 inches square. I left off a few rows, but not enough. Because I now have a humongous quilt.

 Instead I lost my mind trying to set up a way to get a full picture of the quilt.

I had planned to use PVC piping to set up a photography stand, but went with telescoping poles and a drapery rod so that I can adjust its size. I also needed a opening at the top so Buddy could peer over the top of the design wall. So yes, I had many constraints and not enough solutions.

It didn't help that as an earlier version began to capsize from the weight of the quilt and then Molly came running to climb up the quilt, ensuring a spectacular collapse.

So as I am writing this I am whimpering quietly, finally done in by a needlessly humongous quilt...because as you might suspect, I now realize that if I had made a micro-sized version I would be a lot happier. The quilt would look more demented, but I would be less so. I guess I have a new goal for next month...

But first I need to take out some pins I missed, bury and clip thread, use a lint brush to remove ten pounds of cat hair and go look for areas that I missed quilting.

23 comments:

Katie said...

It's amazing! And if you're looking for a short-cut from your to-do list, may I suggest skipping cat fur removal? My cats gravitate to the least-furry whatever in the house and proceed to re-fur it as fast as possible. So I just skip that step a lot of the time. Unless I'm going out in public, then I take the lint roller with me to use on the way to the car!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

WHat a monster to quilt and hang. This is just awesome!! I can picture the chaos of photography with two helpers - it happens here, too.

Vireya said...

Wow! It is stunning! Congratulations on an amazing achievement.

PaulaB quilts said...

The only thing I can say is WOW! Enjoy it when you cuddle in it, with or without feline company.

Laura said...

Whoa! That is a spectacular monster of a quilt! :)

Amy said...

I sure wish there were a video of the escapades photographing this stupendous quilt. Congrats on the win!

Jerilea Hendrick said...

Absolutely amazing. Nothing less.

Louise said...

I love it! I especially love that YOU made it! It's so big, you now are obligated to adopt several more cats to really get the best use out of it.

Barbara said...

Wow...it’s really something. At that size, it’s probably large enough to keep your pony warm. Wonderful quilt.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations on a grand finish! How does it look on a bed? Did you just say you were making another one?

MissPat said...

I was only very momentarily tempted by this one when you and Cathy and Gayle started it, but I instantly knew I didn't need a quilt that big and if you tried to reduce the size by making fewer blocks, you would lose the pattern. I never even considered doing the units any smaller than they already were. Kudos to you for persevering.
Pat

Angie said...

WOW - just WOW!

Cathy said...

A micro version would not be as glorious! Your perseverance is impressive. Congrats on your Dementia! I'm inspired to get mine finished now.

Sue SA said...

Wow....speechless!

Julia G said...

I love the optical illusion - the lines looks like they are moving! Great job!

Shirley said...

What an awesome quilt! What a spectacular finish for 2019! I would have been demented long before the quilt was pieced.

Cathy said...

Congrats on a mind- and eye-boggling finish! Now you just need to buy a bed to fit it! Or you can use it to pad a little room where you can whimper in comfort. Anyway, it’s beautiful, and your dedication and dementia are admirable!

Quilter Kathy said...

That is spectacular.... amazing!
Congrats on this amazing finish!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Cindy Quilts said...

What a wonderful quilt! My quilt friends, who all think I am crazy, give me all their cut off corners. I have been saving them for a while and when I found this pattern I thought it a perfect way to use all those corners. You have inspired me to keep piecing them together.

QuiltGranma said...

Love your Demented, what are the measurements?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wow! Are you going to show this one? I want to see it in person.

gayle said...

It's absolutely MAGNIFICENT!
(And the perfect size for a saddle blanket for Buddy! He'll be so pleased!)