Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Good Fortune: New Year's Day Clue

We were warned that Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune Mystery quilt would have a less regular schedule in the New Year. And I guess some had thought the full reveal would be today. I am relatively new to these mysteries, so they are still a mystery to me, including the schedule. But in an effort to keep up, I did do today's assignment.

Buddy and Molly however are working ahead to figure out the final layout.

In the last clue and today's, Bonnie also gave instructions to make a list of UFOs to finish in 2019 and to straighten up our sewing rooms. Sigh. I know some quilters like to "use up," and some like to finish, but I like fabric in all its forms: new fat quarter, scrap, quilt block, quilt top, quilt. And just because I have a block, doesn't mean it needs to be a quilt top. And not all quilt tops are worthy of batting and quilting (just like not all drawings or paintings get a frame).

So instead, I made a list of my most valuable sewing room assets: Molly and Buddy. And my goal for the year will be to neither use them up or finish them.

Next, I set out to straighten up the sewing room. Well, obviously, Molly is self-cleaning. That was easy.

So STRAIGHTEN UP, BUDDY!

10 comments:

Vireya said...

I love your colours every time I see a piece of your quilt.

Not sure about Molly and Buddy's layout concept. I think their free form piecing idea gives new meaning to the term "flimsy".

Barbara said...

In my experience, cats also make excellent paper weights. Given plenty of time, they can make nice sharp creases in fabric as well. They are the best tool one can have in one’s sewing room.

Cherie in St Louis said...

You get such fabulous pictures of Molly & Buddy. I enjoy them so much! I'm glad you will be neither using them up nor finish them. I so enjoy your humor. My fur friend is an elder statesman who at 17 now enjoys resting on finished quilts......unless he gets a burst of energy and there's string of chained pieced units that flies within, say 6 inches of him.

Cathy said...

I had planned to meet with Darla and Alfie about our quilting plans for this year, but this morning I clipped Darla’s nails (did Alfie’s yesterday) She’s been sitting loaf-style all afternoon (hiding her paws?) and ignoring me, so I guess the meeting has been postponed.

Sharon said...

Loved your comments today, esp about liking the fabric in all the forms.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I am caught up with Bonnie Hunter. This is the first year I have actually gotten this far...…..I must be slipping.

Frances Meredith said...

Great layout, maybe your assistants should organise their own Mystery Quilt?

Julia G said...

You are so funny! Molly makes such interesting composition suggestions - a real abstract artiste.

gayle said...

Your feline overlords do have a wonderful sense of design. I may have to copy this latest layout at some point in the near future!
I freely admit that I make some blocks just because I like making them. I have no intention of ever making them into a quilt - they're just blocks.

QuiltGranma said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful furbabies! Love the sense of humor you have. Cats as Loaves of Bread would be my name for the first picture of them. So apt!