Saturday, November 25, 2023

Size


I decided to take a longer look at this quilt and try to figure out its size and construction. 


Based on the usual size of a staircase, I'm guessing each of the blocks are about 8 inches which means the strips are probably one inch unfinished (half inch finished) like the block on the right. I also suspect that the center square is 3.5 inches finished like the block on the left. The center square on the right is 3 inches finished.

I don't really care so much about the final size of the quilt, but it seems that some of the quilt magic comes from the proportion of the center to the strips. Of course, some of the charm may also come from random fabric fading.

And as I was inspecting the quilt, I found that some of the blocks were not log cabin construction, but squares using partial seams. So that's how I built mine. 

While I was a bit persnickety in trying to understand this quilt, I think the actual quilt benefits from lots of haphazard. But it is also seriously missing orange.


But the highlight of the day was having Buddy teach me about having perspective.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think that the center squares aren't all the same size and the outside strip on some blocks seem a little wider. Maybe compensation for a block that is coming out a little too small.
I thought maybe Buddy was telling you he was going to smack you in the face.

gayle said...

I think most quilts would benefit from more orange...

MissPat said...

What Gaye said. And more lime green, too.
Pat