Friday, January 3, 2020

African Penguin block pattern 1.0


Yesterday I made a sock stuffed African penguin (or Cape penguin) and I liked how the white came up onto his head. I also learned that they have a bit of pink around their eye. I didn't have a pink fuzzy sock, so I used white instead.

Unfortunately to include the detail of the bill and the eye, ends up with a penguin block that is roughly 16 by 19 using a .75 grid (cutting 1.25 inches). However, then there are these huge expanses in the belly and neck. So I think I will be revisiting this pattern, taking out some of the eye detail and making a smaller penguin.

I do like the crossing wings as they stand together, and yes, the x is for extinction, which is where the African penguin is heading.

And yes, I'm back to cutting more blue and green strips for the latest clue for Bonnie Hunter's Frolic mystery quilt.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

It’s very cute. A whole quilt of these would be striking.

gayle said...

He is a cutie. Too bad about the size, though. You'd end up with an awfully small flock of penguins, or an awfully large quilt...

Cathy said...

Cute penguins! I think we’re all heading for extinction, just some species faster than others. But if you resize the penguins down and eventually provide a pattern, I’m sure we’ll see a resurgence in penguin numbers!