Friday, October 6, 2023

Ties that Bind


 Today I tried some of the Shape Flex interfacing. It is shown in the top row. It has an even weave. In the bottom row on the left is the slinky knit fusible and on the right is the nonwoven fusible. The woven fusible is slightly lighter than the non woven but in both cases the feel is stiffer than a batik. So I changed my mind and decided to move ahead with the slinky knit. I will have to be more diligent but I think the final feel of the quilt will be appreciated by Molly and Buddy as they rip it to shreds.

And here is the worst possible example of the block(s) I will be making from the ties. The idea/block comes from Lynn Dykstra at Klein Meisje Quilts, renowned for her series of quilts featuring solids and prints. She calls the block that I will be making "Portuguese Tiles," but, of course, I will have to call mine Portuguese Tie-ls. Contrast will be key and since light ties are harder to find, I am going to bring in some kimono silk.

And because I can't stop unmaking ties, here are some more ties returned to fabric.

2 comments:

gayle said...

Ooooo! Thanks for the link to Lynn's quilt - I'd totally missed that one! I thought I'd been watching her closer than that!
Looks like you've scored a fabulous variety of ties. Your quilt is going to be a beauty!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I use that slinky knit cut into 1" strips to fuse batting pieces together for frankenbatting. It is quite durable fused and not stiff. Sounds like a very difficult piecing odyssey.